Rosti has a history of precision plastic injection moulding solutions dating back to 1944. Founded in Denmark by Rolf Fahrenholtz and Stig Jørgensen, Rosti began with the production of buttons by means of injection moulding, shortly after the second World War. This innovative and relatively new method provided increased production at a lower cost compared to conventional press moulding.
In 1948 the company began to produce mixing bowls and dinnerware in melamine. The Margrethe mixing bowl, named after Queen Margrethe of Denmark and designed by the renowned Danish industrial designer Jacob Jensen at Sigvard Bernadotte and Acton Björns design studio for Rosti, remains a kitchen icon after more than 60 years since its first production. By the mid-fifties, Rosti was producing melamine cosmetic packaging for the cosmetics empires, Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein.
The 1960s saw great changes. In 1965 Rosti became a limited company. The company also began producing plastics for petroleum companies as petroleum started to become a widely used fuel at this time. Rosti received its largest order for 2,000 10 litre jugs for the oil giant BP. The production of jugs for a number of other oil producers including: Shell, Esso and 4K followed and Rosti became one of the biggest producers of plastic petroleum jugs, in addition to its existing melamine production capabilities.
In 1971 Rosti became a part of the A.P. Møller – Mærsk Group, a world leader within shipping, oil and logistics. Fortified by the solid reputation and financial stability of its new owner, the same year Rosti began to acquire a number of companies in several countries throughout the world including USA and Mexico, forming the Rosti Group.
In 1989 Rosti became two divisions; Rosti Industrial and Rosti Houseware. In 1993 the houseware division was sold to the Dutch company Mepal BV and merged to become a single enterprise which is today known as Rosti-Mepal.
In 2010 Rosti’s industrial division, with activities in Europe and Asia, was acquired by the family-controlled Nordic investment company Nordstjernan and became a wholly owned part of the Nordstjernan Group. Ownership has provided us with the benefits of resources, financial security and the solid reputation of both past and present partners.